Houseflies can be found all over the world and almost everywhere you’ll find people, you’ll also find these insects! But when houseflies decide to make a home for themselves in your home, they can quickly turn from a mere annoyance to an incredible nuisance to deal with.
Not only can it be incredibly frustrating to have these creatures in your home, but they may also contribute to the spread of disease.
If you are looking for the quickest and most effective way to rid yourself of the problem, read our article below to discover everything you need to know. We will tell you:
- What attracts flies to your home?
- If houseflies are harmful to your health.
- Some DIY tips for how to get rid of flies in your home.
- Who to contact if you need professional help when you have a fly problem?
- How to prevent the return of flies to your home in the future.
If you need more advice or would like a professional and experienced to come and take control of the problem – contact Big Big Pest Control today to get flies and other pests banished from your house long term.
What attracts houseflies to your Home?
Before you can work out how to get rid of house flies in your house, you should think about what may be attracting them in the first place. Flies are mainly attracted to locales where they can lay their eggs and this will include the following areas:
- Places with rotting material such as garbage, waste, and rotting food.
- Animal Faeces or Manure
- Rotting pests in the walls, basement, or attic.
- Leaking, clogged, and dirty drainage
- Heat and Bright Lights at night.
Are Houseflies Harmful to your Health?
One of the main reasons you need to think about fly control measures when you have flies in your home is that they can spread bacteria and viruses when they bite. Flies are carriers for several different harmful diseases which can be transferred to you when they bite or land on your food, including:
- E. coli
- Bacteria that can lead to eye infections
- Tropical infections
- Food poisoning symptoms.
DIY Tips to Get Rid of Flies with Simple Solutions
The most efficient and quickest way to get flies away from your home and make sure they don’t come back is to hire a professional pest control service. They will be experts in assessing the best way to keep flies from making your home their home and will get the job done quickly.
However, there are some DIY tips to get rid of annoying insects such as a house fly, the effectiveness of these solutions can vary but you just might find the right solution in our DIY fly traps detailed below.
DIY Ways to Get Rid of Flies with a Home-Made Fly Trap
You Can Make Vinegar and Dish Soap Fly Traps
One way to get rid of flies is to try your own fly control measures using items you have in the house already.
- Find a shallow bowl and pour in a good amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar to the mixture
- Then add in some dish soap that is scented with lemon or a fruity scent.
- You can leave the top of the dish uncovered or cover it with clingfilm with some holes poked in it so the flies can reach the liquid.
- The flies will be attracted to the sticky sweetness of the concoction and you can place a cover over it once you have a good amount of the insects in your trap.
You Can Use a Soda Bottle Trap to Capture a Fly
- Use an empty plastic soda bottle and rinse it out.
- Cut off the top third of the bottle
- Pour sugar water or a similarly sweet liquid into the bottom two-thirds of the bottle.
- Turn the shorter top of the bottle upside down and place the neck down in the opening of the bottle with the liquid.
- You have now created a fly trap that flies can fly into but will be unable to fly back out of!
How to Get Rid of Flies Which Are Outside Your Home
An infestation of flies just outside your home can be almost as annoying as when they are inside. Thankfully, there are some inexpensive plants you can try. If you have further trouble, however, a pest and fly control professional can make sure that your infestation of flies is dispatched.
Here are some easy to get hold of fly control deterrents you can try:
- Grow a Lavender Bush
- Try growing Basil
- Plant some Bay Leaf.
- Plant some mint in window boxes or close to your porch, windows and doors.
Where Can You Find Pest and Fly Control Services in South Africa?
If you are struggling with infestations of flies or other insects, then the most efficient way to make sure that the problem is dealt with efficiently is to contact a professional pest control service.
Big Bugs Pest Control are the experts in ensuring that you can keep flies away from your property and do so as quickly as possible. With years of experience and expertise, our professional pest control services in South Africa will keep the flies from ruining your experience of your home and make sure a long term solution is applied.
How Can You Stop House Flies From Returning?
Once Bis Bugs Pest Control has taken care of fly and insect infestation in your house, what can you do to prevent it from happening again?
- Invest in a solid and high-quality garbage can with a sealed lid.
- Check your doors and windows to make sure they are sealed properly and don’t have any holes which flies will get through.
- Make sure not to leave food out that is not protected in a container.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes with food remains out on the kitchen counter for too long.
- If you do compost on your property, make sure it is far away from the house.
- Make sure to be vigilant about cleaning up dog messes in your garden.
- Consider adding some of the plants we have detailed above to discourage and get rid of flies.